Welcome to our monthly series Meet the Team, where we spotlight the extraordinary people that make Bayley & Sage so special. This month’s feature is on Jonathan, one of our buyers. Jennie calls him “Mr. Christmas” as he buys our Christmas range, so who better to feature in the lead up to the festive season! Read the full interview with Jonathan below.
1. How long have you been working at Bayley & Sage and what different roles have you held within the company? What is your role now?
I have been working for Bayley & Sage since 2011. My first role in the company was a team member working on the shop floor, I later became a shift manager and eventually became a floater around the stores. In 2017 I moved to the buying department in an administrative role and became a buyer about 5 years ago.
2. What’s your favourite thing about working at Bayley & Sage?
My favorite thing about working for Bayley & Sage is going into a store and seeing all the range beautifully merchandised and knowing I had a part in selecting part of that range. I don’t think any other food retailer does displays like we do.
3. Who has inspired you the most throughout your career?
John Muller, the head of buying, I have learnt many things from him during my time at Bayley & Sage. He was the first person to teach me how to create a fruit & veg display when I started as a team member at the Wimbledon store. He has been a great support whilst being on the buying team.
4. Have you always worked in this industry? If not, what other types of roles have you held?
A large chunk of my working career has been in the food retail, but I did work in clothing retail before this role.
5. What’s the best advice you could give someone who’s just starting out in their career?
I would say search for the value in feedback and learn from your mistakes.
6. What are some of the accomplishments you’re most proud of?
I have enhanced the quality of our seasonal range and I have taken pride in doing so.
7. What are you most looking forward to this year, both personally and professionally?
I am looking forward to a buying trip to Paris in December to source new products for next Christmas. Outside work, my mother is coming to the UK for Christmas.
8. If you could only eat one thing from Bayley & Sage for the rest of your life, what would you choose?
A difficult question as there are so many products I think are amazing. I love Comte, our pesto, almonds with herbs and 1701 Nougat which is only sold currently at Bayley & Sage in the UK. If I had to choose one thing, I think it would be the Mevalco marinated olives, they are addictive.
9. How do you spend your time when you’re not at Bayley & Sage?
I generally spend my time meeting with friends, trying new restaurants and generally try and stay fit and go to the gym when I have the time.
10. What’s one interesting fact that we might not know about you?
I originally studied graphic design before leaving South Africa in 2004.
Discover our NEW Bayley & Sage Sauvignon Blanc Semillon Blend. It hails from a single vineyard on the iconic Margaret River, one of Australia’s most celebrated wine districts. They pick the frui
Welcome to our monthly series Meet the Team, where we spotlight the extraordinary people that make Bayley & Sage so special. This month’s feature is on Vineta, one of our amazing Area Manage
Interested in working for Bayley & Sage? We’re having a recruitment open day on 20th February! You can view all the details, as well as our current vacancies, below. We hope to see you there